Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Twilight – The Movie


Have you noticed that every teenager (or almost every teenager) is reading the novel "Twilight?" by Stephanie Meyer. My niece was reading it, and she got my daughter hooked on it. My daughter is not an avid reader, but she loved this book, and she wanted to finish it by the time the movie came out.

I thought I would go with my daughter to see the movie. I went with my wife and my daughter, and to tell the truth I wasn't expecting much. My daughter told me that the book was about a girl who falls in love with a vampire. Now, that sounds interesting - Not! But I decided it would be a good time to spend with my daughter since she is getting older, and I want to spend as much time as I can with her. I am not really into vampire movies although I do like the Showtime series True Blood. So – what did I think of the movie….

Awsome! This is a great family movie. It centers on an attractive teenage girl, (Kristen Stewart), Bella Swan who moves to Phoenix high School to live with her father in Forks, Washington. Phoenix high School is set in a mountainous region in the woods where days of rain and overcast are common. This is the perfect setting for an eerie story of romance and vampires. Meyers writes about the setting on her webpage,

"For my setting, I knew I needed someplace ridiculously rainy. I turned to Google, as I do for all my research needs, and looked for the place with the most rainfall in the U.S. This turned out to be the Olympic Peninsula in Washington State. I pulled up maps of the area and studied them, looking for something small, out of the way, surrounded by forest... And there, right where I wanted it to be, was a tiny town called "Forks. It couldn't have been more perfect if I had named it myself. I did a Google image search on the area, and if the name hadn't sold me, the gorgeous photographs would have done the trick."

There is a vulnerability to Bella's character, and the moviegoer instantly is drawn to her. Edward Caller, (Robert Pattison), the vampire is mysterious and keeps to himself, but Bella is immediately attracted to him. What makes the love story so enticing is that the chemistry between the two is so believable. It doesn't matter that Edward has been a teenager for 100 years and several graduation tassels hang on his wall (since he never grows older.) It doesn't matter that Edward has put Bella's life in jeopardy by introducing her to the vampire world. It doesn't matter that Edward is not really alive and he thirsts for Bella's blood, the love between Edward and Bella is so intense that at one point Bella is willing to have Edward suck her blood so Bella could be a vampire too. Edward resists the temptation.

This is a must see movie, and I would give it at least three stars.


 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

ok WHAT are you smoking??? the movie was terrible! the books are great, but the acting in the movie was so disappointing... i like edward and bella, but they need some acting lessons.

Anonymous said...

The books are great, they're very innocent and it's something that everyone can read, not just for teenage girls. I've already started reading the sequel "New Moon"... (I bought the whole collection).

However, the movies will not always be exactly like the book, in my opinion the movie was ok; I'm not saying it's terrible or boring.

By the way, Edward is HOT. :)

 
Republican Party Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory DeeperLeft member